connecting cast iron to PVC or capping off cast iron

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives connecting cast iron to PVC or capping off cast iron

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar photomichael a. zenker,sr.

I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast iron and cap it? Thanks for the help.

Participant

: I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : iron and cap it?Hello IraThe best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.Hope this helps….Ray. : Thanks for the help.

Participant

: : I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : : iron and cap it?: Hello Ira: The best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron : pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would : be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut : the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug : with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be : somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should : probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally : a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.: Hope this helps….Ray. : : Thanks for the help.Ira, Rays way is very sound and I think you are being advised to perhaps get a plumber to do the job. Good advice. If you are out in the boondocks and cannot get quality help or tradespersons to do they job, you may be able to go to your friendly hardware store and buy a neoprene cap that is already on the market to do such a job. No luck a the store then at apinch you could use good quality truck inner tube and a large stainless clip or two to seal the inner tube when you pull it over the end of the pipe. I would leave the material in the end of the pipe seeing that you only have a little leak and cut off the bits hanging out of the end of the pipe and then seal as I have described. both methods will work. Lets see if we can get a third one.All the best to you Ira.

Participant

: : : I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : : : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : : : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : : : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : : : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : : : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : : : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : : : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : : : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : : : iron and cap it?: : Hello Ira: : The best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron : : pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would : : be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut : : the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug : : with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be : : somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should : : probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally : : a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.: : Hope this helps….Ray. : : : Thanks for the help.: : Ira, : Rays way is very sound and I think you are being advised to perhaps get a plumber to do the job. Good advice. : If you are out in the boondocks and cannot get quality help or tradespersons to do they job, you may be able to go to your friendly hardware store and buy a neoprene cap that is already on the market to do such a job. : No luck a the store then at apinch you could use good quality truck inner tube and a large stainless clip or two to seal the inner tube when you pull it over the end of the pipe. : I would leave the material in the end of the pipe seeing that you only have a little leak and cut off the bits hanging out of the end of the pipe and then seal as I have described. : both methods will work. Lets see if we can get a third one.: All the best to you Ira.Thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting the pipe with a hack-saw using bi-metal blades (24 teeth/inch).It was fairly tough, but it took only an hour, using 2 blades. Due to the limited clearance I was using only half the blade at a time and turned it around to use the remaining sharp teeth. I then capped it using a 3 to 2 rubber adapter, plugging the 2 side with a PVC cleanout plug. It turns out that the cast iron was actually 3 pipe. If folks are hesitant to spend that much time on the cutting, you could probably rent a sawzall for $20 /day. That would take about 3 minutes to cut through the pipe.Thanks again for the suggestions.

Participant

Test

Participant

: : I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : : iron and cap it?: Hello Ira: The best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron : pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would : be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut : the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug : with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be : somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should : probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally : a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.: Hope this helps….Ray. : : Thanks for the help.

Participant

: : : : I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : : : : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : : : : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : : : : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : : : : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : : : : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : : : : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : : : : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : : : : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : : : : iron and cap it?: : : Hello Ira: : : The best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron : : : pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would : : : be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut : : : the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug : : : with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be : : : somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should : : : probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally : : : a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.: : : Hope this helps….Ray. : : : : Thanks for the help.: : : : Ira, : : Rays way is very sound and I think you are being advised to perhaps get a plumber to do the job. Good advice. : : If you are out in the boondocks and cannot get quality help or tradespersons to do they job, you may be able to go to your friendly hardware store and buy a neoprene cap that is already on the market to do such a job. : : No luck a the store then at apinch you could use good quality truck inner tube and a large stainless clip or two to seal the inner tube when you pull it over the end of the pipe. : : I would leave the material in the end of the pipe seeing that you only have a little leak and cut off the bits hanging out of the end of the pipe and then seal as I have described. : : both methods will work. Lets see if we can get a third one.: : All the best to you Ira.: Thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting the : pipe with a hack-saw using bi-metal blades : (24 teeth/inch).It was fairly tough, but it took : only an hour, : using 2 blades. Due to the limited clearance : I was using only half the blade at a time and : turned it around to use the remaining sharp teeth. : I then capped it using a 3 to 2 rubber adapter, : plugging the 2 side with a PVC cleanout plug. : It turns out that the cast iron was actually : 3 pipe. : If folks are hesitant to spend that much time on : the cutting, you could probably rent a sawzall : for $20 /day. That would take about 3 minutes to : cut through the pipe.: Thanks again for the suggestions. hi I want some site which can give me detail info about steels. pl mail me at [email protected]

Participant

:How woul I connect a cast iron drain to a newer pipe such as pvc to re do an exsistin bathroom. : : : : I recently moved into a 71 year old home and have : : : : : discovered an unused branch of the cast iron drain : : : : : pipe. It was left open and drips slightly. : : : : : Ive temporarily blocked it with a piece of wood and : : : : : some caulking. Is there an easy way to install a cap : : : : : at the end. It looks like 2 inch pipe, flaing to a : : : : : 4 inch inside diameter end. IF I break open the : : : : : hung ceiling in the basement and trace it back to the : : : : : main line, is there an easy way for me to cut the cast : : : : : iron and cap it?: : : : Hello Ira: : : : The best way to cut cast iron is with a cast iron : : : : pipe snap cutter. Probally the ratchet type would : : : : be the easiest to use under your house. Just cut : : : : the cast iron pipe and install a no-hub blind plug : : : : with a no-hub band. The old cast iron pipe may be : : : : somewhat larger but will still work ok. You should : : : : probally use a tee handle tork wrench but probally : : : : a nut driver will work ok if you dont over tighten.: : : : Hope this helps….Ray. : : : : : Thanks for the help.: : : : : : Ira, : : : Rays way is very sound and I think you are being advised to perhaps get a plumber to do the job. Good advice. : : : If you are out in the boondocks and cannot get quality help or tradespersons to do they job, you may be able to go to your friendly hardware store and buy a neoprene cap that is already on the market to do such a job. : : : No luck a the store then at apinch you could use good quality truck inner tube and a large stainless clip or two to seal the inner tube when you pull it over the end of the pipe. : : : I would leave the material in the end of the pipe seeing that you only have a little leak and cut off the bits hanging out of the end of the pipe and then seal as I have described. : : : both methods will work. Lets see if we can get a third one.: : : All the best to you Ira.: : Thanks for the advice. I ended up cutting the : : pipe with a hack-saw using bi-metal blades : : (24 teeth/inch).It was fairly tough, but it took : : only an hour, : : using 2 blades. Due to the limited clearance : : I was using only half the blade at a time and : : turned it around to use the remaining sharp teeth. : : I then capped it using a 3 to 2 rubber adapter, : : plugging the 2 side with a PVC cleanout plug. : : It turns out that the cast iron was actually : : 3 pipe. : : If folks are hesitant to spend that much time on : : the cutting, you could probably rent a sawzall : : for $20 /day. That would take about 3 minutes to : : cut through the pipe.: : Thanks again for the suggestions. : hi I want some site which can give me detail info about steels. pl mail me at [email protected]

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This