Reply To: Rough-in, Copper or plastic??

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Rough-in, Copper or plastic?? Reply To: Rough-in, Copper or plastic??

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Wallingford Plm+Htg:
    Sylvan,why didn’t you tell this person about all the evils of pvc pipe?Why would you recommend a product that you say only “stumble bumb”plumbers would use? Oh “great one”please explain,i’m confused.

It is OK I completely understand your confusion AGAIN I will say it UPSTATE NY has no codes
    or any real training in these fields. This is why I strongly suggest upstate folks USE HOME DEPOT for their plumbing needs and try to do it themselves as they cant possibly be worse then the typical upstate wanna be handyman.

Wallingford. here is EDUCATION time just for you kid.

Have someone READ this to you slowly so you can hopefully understand

Since thermoplastics are nonconductors, they are immune to the electrolytic or galvanic corrosion that attacks and often destroys metal piping materials, particularly when installed underground.

Copper conveying hot water at 180 degrees F is prone to failure if the velocity is allowed to be in excess of 2-3 FPS (feet per second).

PVDF can handle high temperatures up to 280 Deg. F (137 Deg. C) and CPVC and PP can handle temperatures up to 210 Deg F (98 Deg. C).I would love to put copper against the plastic piping in an acid system or even water with lots of minerals, like well water.<<<<<< Hey Kid didnt the above person say HARD WATER DUH what does that mean to YOU ??

Again you proved my point WE NEED to upgrade the NYS folks into atleast the 18th century plummmmin.

PLEASE seriously WHY dont you pick on another trade and leave PLUMBING to PROFESSIONALS?

continue to READ and Learn from US professionals my young TRAINEE

Copper is subject to erosion from lack of proper installation (no reaming) or poor design (excessive velocity << DUH WALL READ THIS AGAIN
    SEE and you just thought it was shutting down a valve by a toilet wow look what your learning HUH?).

Copper can allow hydraulic shock to be even more intense than its steel or brass piping counterpart.

Copper in marine use just doesn’t hold up as well as other piping materials.

I would never think of using copper for my main sewer piping as Cast Iron has longevity and the mass to have a very quiet system and plastic waste is one of the noisiest systems imaginable.

See Wall “OPTIONS” are you learning ANYTHING?

Copper type DWV is paper thin and subject to attack from chemical action of domestic drain cleaners and certain natural water conditions and excessive velocity

To say one type of material is better than another is absurd HUH WALL BUT hey you have no real codes so ANYTHING goes upstate.

Manufacturers and KNOW NOTHING So called plumbers are always pushing their products as the best, BUT as True Master Plumbers and Gas fitters and Drainers we must make the final decision what is the proper material and equipment for each job application and what is allowed by codes and not just price.

Copper is a great material if used properly and you know its limitations.

I only use plastic under duress BUT if the system requirements needed plastic for an acid waste or water conditions warranted it, I would use the proper type of plastic as required by job requirements and local codes.

Black steel is great for steam applications as the coefficient of expansion is not as great as copper and you wont get the loss of BTUs from the piping..

Black steel is also stronger and resists the possibility of having the pipe wall penetrated by a nail, like a copper/plastic gas line can, Copper/plastic can really be dangerous.

On a steam pipe you have the real possibility of having severe burns using copper opposed to black steel if you brush against this piping.[]

Steel can be threaded, welded and use mechanical clamps to hold much higher pressures.

.Some members of the population are actually allergic to copper and any water passing through this piping must be filtered.

Thankfully SOME Licensed plumbers do keep abreast of current code changes and new materials and designs coming into play, especially in the heating industry with much lower hydronic temperatures and plastic being used underground in long joint free grids. (Lots of failures any way HUMAN factor)

The problem as I see it is many material manufacturers always tell how great their products are but never the short comings!

Good plumbers try to use the BEST materials for the job at hand TSK TSK Kid you really need to learn the short comings of each material

Hey Wall do you ONLY have one tool in your tool box? Channel locks ILL bet LOL and a can of glue

The OLD MAN who loves CHOICES in the right materials

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This