Reply To: cracked radiator

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing cracked radiator Reply To: cracked radiator

Participant

Shalom David HEY HESHY cut David a break OK? LOL

David you can have the existing radiator HYDROSTATICALLY tested and the cracked section removed and possibly put back into service IF the cracked section is not an end piece.

. I took a 46 section CI radiator and made it into a 24 section NO PROBLEM.

For a second hand radiator like the beautiful Embossed ones in older homes you can drive over the George Washington Bridge come to NYC (Bronx) go to Boston Road and look for “Mikes pipe yard”

A lot of cracked radiators can even be repaired by using a bronze filler metal or cast Iron welding rod Oxyacetylene is my favorite way to repair these things as I can control the heating and cooling process better then arc welding.

Using a licensed Master plumber in this case is OVER KILL as most decent journeymen can weld ESPECIALLY in the Tri state area where the apprenticeship training is second to none.

You also have some very qualified boiler welders in NJ who could also do a great job of welding cracked radiators BUT this service is not cheap.

Connecticut also has a gret place or locating used radiators in a place called HOME WRECKERS.

NYC has several plumbing shops that remove old radiators that are still in fantastic shape and you can contact some of them asking to keep you in mind so you can come and get them.

You may also opt for Cast Iron Base Board if you want the fantastic Quality of Cast Iron with the low profile of that baseboard offers.

Ah Decissions, decissions.

You can also try any scrap metal junk dealer normal price is around $10 per section.

Try the local housing authority as they scrap radiators constantly TYPICAL Governemt waste.

Hey David Good luck

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This