Reply To: Low Hot Water Pressure Fixed in Minutes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Low Hot Water Pressure Fixed in Minutes Reply To: Low Hot Water Pressure Fixed in Minutes

Participant

wpc wrote on 04 November 2000 at 01:06 AM:

I would be very carefull if you resort to the ram jet approach. I personaly will not use pressure to unclog drains. I have seen these products rupture lines. A drainage system is not rated for pressures that these can cause.

WPC what “Drainage are you talking about?

Now for a point of information.

I have several hand snakes (one for each van) plus 3 water jetters JetMax , Ridgid and 3 General Super 90 machines and one Electric Eel Model J really heavy duty commerical stuff and my top Water Jetter which can produce 3000 PSI @10 GPM or 14 GPM @ 2,500 PSI depending on applications.

BUT the best all around drain cleaning tool ever developed in my opinion is the Ram Jet for the old SMALL diameter piping systems.

Think about the following for example.

An old building can have a lead trap and up to 5 feet of developed length of lead drain piping .

Imagine a snake going through a 100 year old lead line? FORGETABOUTIT instant puncture through the dip/crown weir of the trap.

Ever see a LONG RADIUS 11/2 galvanized drainage ell? VERY rare indeed huh?

Again the snake would not pass the sanitary tee and next 90 degree turn
    without some difficulty especialy with the 180 DEGREE trap in place

Now with the RAM JET you do have the option to start off with 10 PSI or 50 PSI or anything in between.

A full 50% of my companies profit comes from drain cleaning and my Ram Jets are one of the few tools that actually pay for themselves the 1st time used.

Think about all the cheap tubular brass now being used on a tub wastes OR a standing waste for that matter.

It would take a real pro to snake round these 22 gauge fittings that the stumble bums install without puncturing them.

Here I send out a mechanic with his trusty RAM JET and one possibly two shots and $325 later he is off to the next job.

It sure beats the hell out of snaking a very old line over a computer store or worse over some law office.

The snake is great on hard stoppages like rags, roots and water jetting is made for soft stoppages BUT a Ram Jet is good for those fixture stoppage of hair and just some soap scum build up like a basin or bathtub and A/C condensate and indirect bar sink waste lines.

Any tool in the hands of a helper is dangerous as they help create work if they are left unattended and unsupervised, But like any tool in the hands of a skilled craftsman a Ram jet can serve its purpose, BUT it is not to be used for all job conditions.

If it could be used for all applications I could have just saved myself $12,000 + for my new water jetting system. Plus the Van that its built into.

One tool doesn’t do it all in this trade BUT having the right tool in the hands of the right person makes all the difference in the world.

Have a GREAT WEEK END

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This