Reply To: Hot water problem at Kitchen sink and shower

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water problem at Kitchen sink and shower Reply To: Hot water problem at Kitchen sink and shower

Participant

and if THAT wasnt enough…
    The shower thing could be explained by a pressure balancing valve doing what its upposed to to keep you from getting scalded if someone turns something on or if a toilet is passing and filling up…but that wont explain the kitchen sink…I dont know!…I’m trying to think!!!
    It could be two seperate problems! an old worn out stem on the kitchen faucet AND a pressure balancing valve…or maybe (if you have) a recirc pump that is shut off, and the gate keeps slamming back and forth, and mixing cold water…OR….maybe……
    OUCH! I’m getting a headache!
    If you get it figured out let me know…I think my nose is bleeding!

OK, I’m back…took some asprin…You can test to see if your shower has a pressure balancing valve by simply shutting off the water to your water heater and turning
    on the shower…if the cold water is very low or hardly runs, then chances are you have a pressure balancing valve.
    If the cold water pressure doesnt change which way or the other then you can backflush your hot water system more easily from the shower than most other areas.
    unscrew the shower head and put a 1/2 cap on the end of the pipe and turn the shower to the middle (warm position) if its a single handle, or turn both valves full open if its a two valve type, with the hot water heater off, hose attached to heater, and drain valve open.
    Thats all I can think of for right now…If it turns out to be something else, let me know…

» This message has been edited by Bruce T on 04 June 2002

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This