Reply To: Hot water radiator pipe repairs

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water radiator pipe repairs Reply To: Hot water radiator pipe repairs

Participant

Prior to 1990, mechanics could engineer many of their jobs themselves by installing ‘good-enough’ replacements. Since then, liability has made it impossible to work with other than factory approvals and code compliance. Common practices of the older time are now not good enough. Prudence dictates that responses be based on code compliance and factory specification, no longer on ‘common practices’ and OJT prior generation practices.

Harold my dear friend.

I still design my own heating systems and still have no problem accepting full personal responsibility for my specifications and installations and workmanship.

I have no idea where you came up with the 1990 cut off date but in the very early 70’s I was and still am following the NBBISME,NFPASHRAE,
    NYC BD Of standards and appeals AGA (CSA) ADA and Barrier free designs as this is what a LMP is supposed to do.

If a heating contractor choses a product and it fails the installing contractor RIGHTFULLY so should be hung out to dry and be PERSONALLY held accountable NOT the manufacturers.

Suppose a nut case goes to a home center buys a boiler instals it with without a low water cut off, WHY should anyone BUT the installer be responsible?

How many Idiots and stumblebums and low life’s in the field think a hot water boiler doesn’t need this type of protection?

How many morons saying P&H would never think of installing a spill switch?

Harold ANYONE who installs a product should face full responsibility for their actions.

If I buy a car and drive it through a crowd of people should the car manufacturer be held accountable Or the person who turns the key?

If someone decides to install plastic piping under a slab and it fails THEY should face full accountabilty NO ONE else unless someone else specified this material.

As a “professional” I not only install BUT I specify all materials for each aspect of the job and if the system I specify and install fails then I should be held 1 million percent accountable NOT the importer or the manufacturer or the store where I bought the materials.

The heating/plumbing contractor who installs a system that is not willing to give a 20+ year FULL guarantee on labor and materials shouldn’t be dabbling in the field.

PUT their money where their mouth is.

Think about this I install a roof drain and I give a 100% guarantee that if this drain fails with in 25 years I will not only replace it FREE of charge BUT I will be solely responsible for any water damage below this drain even if it is a complete computer system costing several million dollars.

Now my drains are subject to ice,rain,snow, heat and everything imaginable YET not one failure due to my mistake or improper specifications or installations.

The high pressure steam lines I installed and serviced 1,500 PSI Superheated NOT one failure.

So I find in very mind boggling that a “state of the art” heating system cant last over 80 years!!!!!!!

A steam system lasting 30 years is fantastic when one considers the stress placed up it and how acidic the condensate can be plus all the “fresh” water that enters this kind of system.

But a hydronic system failing less then 60 years old someone should be hung by their toe nails.

The INSTALLER or the specifier should be the only ones that are the guilty parties.

This is exactly why I specify and install only what I am willling to give a 25 + FULL guarantee on my jobs.

I am more then willing to put up a personal written guarantee on all my jobs where I have complete control of materials and workmanship.

The LMP should have the final say and the final responsibility NO Ifs ands or Buts.

Like they say if you cant take the heat get out of hells kitchen.

We have enough “victims” how about someone finaly taking FULL responsibility for their specifications and installations

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This