Reply To: Sylvan HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Sylvan HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP Reply To: Sylvan HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Participant

In reply to message posted by Jim Hogan:
    Sylvan. How do you weld/repair a cast iron crack

Thank you

As much as it Irks me Nick is correct about “Black and White”

This is a sulfur stick we used to not only make repairs in cast iron radiators and cast Iron soil pipes Uncoated cast Iron (GRAY) it is great for bronze and bass and Muntz metals

The draw back with the black and white is it smokes like all hell and the sulfur smell burns your eyes.

I happen to carry B&W in my service vans as it helps stop leaks fast and it can take the expansion and contraction steam applications as I used it on steam traps and even a cracked motor block.

The B&W stick comes in a pack of two and it is not applied like regular filler metal as NO FLAME is to come into contact with it.

You heat surf ace with minimum preparation and get the cast Iron or steel how and then rub this black sulfur stick on and as it flows it fills large and small voids

Nick is CORRECT as this is a great product BUT I would not dare use it on gas piping even though there are gas lines made of Cast Iron still around and I would not use it on high pressure steam applications.

Nick I stand corrected B&W is a great product and saved many a home owner from the expense of a radiator replacement.

Thank you Nick for reminding me that I still learn every day on this list and am constantly reminded of applications I have forgotten over the years.

See Nick who needs “welders” when you can find the right product for the job.

Eutectic makes some welding rods that make anyone an expert over night, the same with Nassau research with the newer lower temperarture rods now being offered.

Nick YOUR are GREAT .KIS Kwwping It Simple as always and in this case it should work (Unless it is a boiler or pressure vessel)

SylvanLMP

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This