Reply To: Leaking Steam Radiator HELP!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Leaking Steam Radiator HELP! Reply To: Leaking Steam Radiator HELP!

Participant

Since you stated it “leaks when you turn your radiator on” I will presume it is a steam system as a hot water system is under constant pressure EVEN with the shut off valves closed.( this is to prevent freeze ups)
    What you are describing is the SPUD Nipple inside the radiator connection to the half union is leaking, VERY common problem hopefully repaired by just getting a large pipe wrench and tightening this union GENTLY until the condensate leak stops.

In the worst case you can crack (partially open this radiator valve) and allow it to just maintain temperature with a small pan under it.

Unfortunately most of the plumbers I know like myself are taking off Fri-Tue as NY will be under snow any way why bother going out?

A lot of times these brass fittings do loosen themselves especially in the beginning of the heating season as the coefficient of expansion per degree is not the same for this brass fitting as the cast Iron radiator it is connected to.
    Try calling a local master plumber as we can give you temporary heat EVEN from most cracked radiators if this is indeed the case.

Some of my “temporary” repairs are still in effect 15 years later.

Have a great New Year and good luck

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This