I learned how to winterize a house in a hard way a few years ago. You have quite a lot of things to do:
1. Keep your furnace on. If you have a old rotary thermostat, keep it at 50 C minimum.
2. Drain all the faucets and shut the water off
3. Make sure your smoke and Carbon monoxide detector are working and inform your neighbours or police about your away
4. Open all the doors of the closet and cabinet that has pipings inside
5. Preferably, have a friend or neighbour check the house every couple days.