Reply To: Water expansion tank

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water expansion tank Reply To: Water expansion tank

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Harold Kestenholz:
    You might be right about that, Sylvan. One reason I chose to talk about how to purge a non-diaphragm expansion tank for a hot water heating system is that I find it hard to believe that someone will fool with a system that has 125+psig. It is not usual for a water heater to have a guage on it to know if the pressure is in fact rising. Certainly if the water pressure coming into a water heater is over 125, then there will be some other problems in the house. Someone who is asking about how to do this task without knowing anything about it is looking for danger. I just feel safer talking about a lower-pressure vessel.

The procedures are pretty much the same, but it should be done by someone with the experience to know that a leak at 125+psig can blind and cut skin. It is cetainly not a job for someone with no knowledge or even a helper without years of experience.

If it is a weeping valve from temperature, then handling hot water is not safe either; though the post didn’t mention that, just the rising pressure problem.

Harold REMEMBER the code officials and manufacturers DON’T CARE where the money comes from, other wise ALL gas fired appliances would be sold ONLY to a licensed person Qualified in the proper installation.

I have seen many “gagged” Safety valves Or improperly installed safety/relief valves being installed and being reduced to less then 1/2 of inch diameter OR completely plugged.

Go to a home center and look at the boilers being sold.

I just wrote an article for Loz last week regarding the home center menace and once it is put on the web YOU will be the 3rd person to see it.

Lawyers are going to have a feast attacking the GAMA and home centers in the next few years.

As an “expert witness” I nailed my big city a few times in court and laughing all the way to the bank with proving the incompetence Of the installer and product liability

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This