Reply To: Circulator pump in hot water central heating causes hum throughout hou

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Circulator pump in hot water central heating causes hum throughout hou Reply To: Circulator pump in hot water central heating causes hum throughout hou

Participant

The present Armstrong Astro line starts with higher model numbers. Someone might have the old catalog. The present models are cartridge types like TACO 007. I have heard many plumbers describe this noise problem with 007’s. I have heard this transmitted noise through my own home system from my TACO 007 when The non-electric zone valves are open to provide little resistance.

There were older Armstong circulators that used a magnetic drive and that impeller made noise when it was running under light load. Armstrong and TACO are very long-lasting circulators, it is not lack of quality. The circulators require a steady back pressure on the impeller to run quietly. Put a balancing valve at least 10 pipe diameters away from the circulator outlet. Adjust the balancing valve until there is a 20 degree temperature difference from supply to return after running the burner and system until the return water gets to 120 F (when the weather gets cooler.)

Other suggestions from Sylvan to provide even comfort levels are worthwhile when investment permits.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This