Reply To: water is coming out of air vent in radiator

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water is coming out of air vent in radiator Reply To: water is coming out of air vent in radiator

jakemt
Participant

Harold, thanx for replying to my query. I would like to elaborate a little further on my water problem. The return lines are piped together below the waterline in the back of the boiler on the floor of the basement. A Hartford Loop pipe then arches vertically appx. 8″ upwards to a horizontal pipe which then is attached to the equalizer pipe appx. 1 to 2″ below the boiler water level. So I don’t think the problem is there. However, when the boiler is running appx. 20 mins., I notice the water in the sight glass fluctuating with the pressure gauge needle moving rapidly between 1 and 2 psig. That’s when the steam at one of the furthest radiator pushes water out the air vent. There is a fuctional main air vent at the point where the return line connects to the long steam main. This steam main then branches into 2 smaller steam mains going in opposite directions. Is the placment of this main vent correct? Also, what would cause the water in the sight glass to fluctuate? Is this causing the steam to partially push return line water back into the smaller steam main? Or, is this return line clogged so condensate cannot fully run down the return line back to the boiler? Thanx again for your input.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This