Reply To: Solder

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Solder Reply To: Solder

Participant

In reply to message posted by Douglas Tedeschi:
    How can I tell the difference between rosin core solder for electrical work and plumbing solder? I am using solder from an unlabled roll. It makes great sweated joints, but I want to make sure it is not for electrical work. The labeled roll of plumbing-type solder does not work as well – it does not melt as quickly and it is much more difficult to get the solder to flow into the joints. The unlabeled solder has a label which states it contains lead. Is lead solder easier to work with? By the way, these repairs are on hot water heating system pipes. I am meticulously preparing the pipes for sweating, and using enough flux.

If you cannot “Solder” with so called plumbers solder you should not even attempt it.

The rosin core type of solder does contain lead and you have NO IDEA of the composition of tin added

Solder can be 70-30, 40-60, 50-50 60-40,95-5, 98-2, ETC., not knowing the lead content means you have no clue to the actual tensile strength of the joints being soldered.

To find out if it is self fluxing solder just get a match and hold it to the end of the solder and see if it smokes If it gives off smoke or fumes your using a self fluxing solder.

You may want to contact a licensed plumber and hire him/her to teach you how to be an EXPERT at soldering.

To be an expert should take the average person 7 minutes as I taught a 4 year old to do it to prove a point and it took her 5 minutes.

The reason I feel the 4 year old is slightly faster then a grown up man as the child had no bad habits YET and is willing to learn.

You see sir not all self fluxing solders are rosin core and thus some may contain an acid that will continue to corrode the copper tubing long after the installer leaves the job site.

It should be quite interesting in a court of law to hear the verdict of a jury hanging someone for criminal neglect because the soldered joint gave up the ghost when it could not expand and contract properly under heating conditions.

Imagine 190+ degree water spurting all over from an inferior joint.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This