Copper Pipe Corrosion from Using Chlorine Bleach in Water

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Copper Pipe Corrosion from Using Chlorine Bleach in Water

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am involved in the defense against weapons of mass destruction business and need some advice from professional plumbers. We are evaluating a decontamination system that uses copper pipes. Our question revolves around injecting a 5% bleach solution through the system that is putting out about 8-10 gallons per minute in the shower heads. At the end of sustained operations, say 12-16 hours, what do we need to do to preclude the onset of corrosion? Will a simple flush of cold water be sufficient or do we need to inject a acid neutralizing solution? Please advise as soon as possible. If possible, we need an answer by 11:00 EST, Monday, 8 May 2000.
        Thank you. You may call me at 540-720-6098, extension 313

Participant

My experience has been that the corrosion occurs while the chlorine is in the piping, so I do not think that a treatment after the fact will help. You can try it, but I believe that you will need to use a different material, possibly stainless steel or one of the chemical resisting plastics.

Participant

Yes a simple rinse with water should be enough. A 5% bleach solution should not harm the copper pipe.

Participant

I am involved in the defense against weapons of mass destruction business and need some advice from professional plumbers. We are evaluating a decontamination system that uses copper pipes. Our question revolves around injecting a 5% bleach solution through the system that is putting out about 8-10 gallons per minute in the shower heads. At the end of sustained operations, say 12-16 hours, what do we need to do to preclude the onset of corrosion?

As Much AS I enjoyed being in the NATO forces. I must tell you that having a flow rate of 8-10 gallons per minute with the WRONG sized piping could cause lots of erosion problems. If your copper has a flow rate in excess of 6 FPS you maybe looking for pitting and other types of tubing failures.

Personally weapons of MASS killing potential actually stops wars But then again they do take the fun out of hand to hand combat.

Remember out of every war comes more medical knowledge for saving lives.

By the way FYI I was involved in weapons of mass killing without destruction such as Chemical and Biological and Nuclear warfare. NOT all warfare has to have radiation as a destructive device (to buildings and other structures). THINK of all the money saved if you take out life and keep the cities standing?

Some Germ/chemical warfare can last only a few hours/days/ months/ to get the job done and only disable the troops and still be able to salvage the equipment of your foes to be used another time in conventional police action. Good luck DAV life Member

[Edited by SylvanLMP on 10 May 2000]

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This