sealing gas line

Home Forums Public Forums Gas & Gasfitting sealing gas line

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I installed my gas line in my new home, but have a slight pressure leak (1lb every hour) it was ok to pass inspection, but I would prefer to eliminate any leak. I have tried the soap and bubble detection method, but with no success. Next I will try a shrink and seal tape. Any other suggestions?

Participant

You got to be kidding right? WHO would ever in a million years pass a known leaking gas system?

Any leak on a “gas” system is NOT LEGAL or safe

Participant

a gas leak in your home is a pain,
            and you’ve searched for it in vain.
            shrinkable tape’s not the cure,
            of this you can be sure;
            as a matter of fact it’s insane.

Budski

Participant

I suggest:

SHUT THE GAS OFF AT THE METER IMMEDIATLY AND CALL A LICENSED PLUMBING CONTRACTOR TO REPAIR/REPLACE WHATEVER IS NECESSARY!!!!!!

Participant

To be clear, this line is not yet hooked up to the gas meter, I have pressure tested it with AIR, thus, “Richard’s” excellent and helpful suggestion won’t work.

Participant

If the leak is enough to register on a meter, the gas company will not turn it on anyway. Have you soap and bubbled the pipe fittings? It is not unusual for one of them to have a sandhole in it, especially black fittings which do not have a galvanized coating which can seal small imperfections. And have you checked the air valve where you pumped it up? That can leak and allow a pressure drop.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This