Thumping & whining in pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Thumping & whining in pipes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I live in a 2 year old house that just started having the following plumbing problems in the last couple weeks:

When running any shower in the house, the pipes thump horribly unless a faucet is turned on in a sink somewhere. Same is true if the washer is running on the warm water setting – seems to be OK with either hot or cold.

In addition, when any toilet is flushed in the house or the sprinklers are running, there is a very annoying, high pitched whining.

I tried draining the entire house’s plumbing system (except the water heater), turned every faucet on (inside and outside), and turned the main valve back on. I let every thing run in the house for a few minutes (flushing toilets when they filled) hoping to remove any air in the pipes, but I still have the same problem.

Is there anything else I can try or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks,
        Rob

Participant

Do you have a PRV valve on your system, sounds like you have high water pressure and the pipes are not secure enough and might be loose in the wall, check out pipes hanging on joist and see if they are loose, also go tp box store and buy a guage and attachment and check water press. on outside hose faucet, let me know.

Participant

In addition to what Art has posted, check your water meter, there have been some trouble with the newer water meters.

» This message has been edited by PLUMBILL on 18 August 2006

Participant

I’ll check the pressure tonight.
              What kind of pressure should I be looking for? Because I can try changing the regulator (hope that’s the right term!) a little if the pressure is too high.

Also, the high-pitched whining/screaching is definitely coming from the regulator, if that helps in determing the problem(s).

Thanks!!
              Rob

Participant

You want about 50# plus or minus. What you need probably is an expansion tank on the CW side of water heater. You have what we call a closed system that when WH heats up water it expans and no where for Press. to go and it goes into your system, have Plumber install one and see if that does it ,let me know.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This