Overflow Tube in Shower/Bath

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Overflow Tube in Shower/Bath

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

In trying to replace a missing screw to the center of the overflow tube faceplate, I discovered what may be a major problem.

Normally the screw goes through the center of the faceplate and into the back of the overflow tube. When screwed tight it, pulls the overflow tube tight against the back of the tub (and gasket) creating a tight seal.

However, the place the screw is supposed to be received into the overflow tube is partially broken and has 1/2 of a rusted screw solidly wedged in there. Even if I could get it out, the overflow tube would not receive a new screw.

Is there any way to fix this situation creating a tight seal without any major reconstruction to the bathroom or destroying the living room wall, opposite the back of the tub?

Participant

HD has some parts that work to secure that overflow, go see what they have.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Art,

Actually, Home Depot was my first stop. I talked to their bath plumbing “expert” who really couldn’t give me any advice.

Given that I never use the tub for baths (showers only) is there a problem or violation of code to get a solid overflow plate and completely seal the thing up?

Participant

Them guys at the box store dont know much, all they do is sell all they can. I will look in my files and see if I have that eq. pic.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I could not find it but it is 2 clips you put on flange that matchs up with the 2 holes and you tighten the screws up. you could get a solid flange but the n you would not have over flow. I would drill holes in overflow and tap it and use long screws, think about that.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This