old shower stall

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing old shower stall

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 24 years ago by Avatar photojack spotz.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

we have a shower stall in our basement that is probably made of metal. it has a “Pan” but we tried to put tile over it. unfortunately we didn’t use proper grout and the water melted the grout. now it’s all a mess. how do we clean this up and how can we redo the “pan” so that the shower floor is nice? please help. my teenage boys don’t like to take baths!!!

Participant

Have a licensed and insured plumbing contractor take out this garbage metal base and either install a terrazzo base with a “caulked” lead joint OR have the Licensed Master plumber make up a lead pan using a minimum of 30″x30″ 4 PSF sheet lead pan with a cast Iron drain. Trying to repair this enameled steel pan is a waste of time and money.

SylvanLMP

Participant

what about replacing the whole shower with a new unit?? would it be very expensive to have a plumber put a new shower in???
            thanks!!! kiki

Participant

kiki, sure you can replace the whole showernd in my opinion you should. it’s not that big of a job, but yes hire a plumber. as far as price, it depends. sylvan was describing the best alternative, a custom stone or concrete and lead shower floor with beautiful tiled walls, should last many years. a lower cost alternative and what folks seem to expect in this pre-fab world is a fiberglass unit. there are some respectable ones, i prefer “sterling” brand myself. ask your neighbors, get a reference on a good plumber, and discuss your options with him, shouldn’t cost you nuthin’ for the bid. good luck kiki, and get them athletes a NEW shower!!!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This