Sump Pump

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Sump Pump

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I just had a second sump pump added to the pit, and they put them both(zoeller 1/3 hp) pumps on the bottom of the pit side by side. The last pump I had was mounted on some bricks and was about 20 inches from the bottom of the pit and ran for approx. 1 minute for each cycle. Now they they lowered the pump and added a 2nd pump it only runs for 11 seconds. It looks like onlt one is running and the second is a backup. What would make the pump run time be so different? The float doen’t seems to be stuck or hindered in any way.

Participant

Maybe the water level went down below the float, does the otherone kick in. If this is in a house why do you need 2 pumps, let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Yes, this is in my basement and we are in a very wet area. This pump usually runs from Dec thru July and sometimes longer. When I had only 1 pump it ran for 1minutes every 5 minutes unless we got a lot of rain like lately(outside of Philadelphia,Pa) then it was 1 minute every 3 minutes, but the pump was higher in the pit. Now that the pump is lower I don’t understand why the run cycle would be less. Now the pump runs 11 seconds every 40 seconds. I don’t think both are kicking on because when the pump clicks the one pump float actually jumps a little. I guess I’m a little paranoid about the basement flooding. Thanks for your reply–

Participant

Do you have a check valve on discharge line, if not the water drains back and pump will run again, sounds like what is happening, let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Yes both sump pump have check valves

Participant

I heard of drilling a little hole in pipe below check valve and that relieves some pressure, drill a hole about screw size in case it dontwork you can put screw in the hole. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Did you contact Zoeller pump co. Maybe the switch are controls need to be ajusted, does it pump waterall the way down if not some thing is wrong with switch.

Art retired plbg

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                    Participant

paone, it may simply be that the pit makes water quicker in the lower portion of the pit than at the higher portion or that the pit is smaller at the lower portion than at the higher portion.
                      also did the installer adjust the float level?
                      Did the bricks impede the suction or had the pump stands worn into the bricks thereby impeding the suction?
                      Bob

» This message has been edited by Robert Stephen Morton on 03 February 2006

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This