Fitting an American handheld bidet spray to an Australian toilet.

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Fitting an American handheld bidet spray to an Australian toilet.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I am having trouble fitting an American handheld bidet spray that attaches between the cistern inlet and the water shut off valve (sorry I’m not a plumber and don’tknow the correct term). The problem is the American 3/8″ nut is smaller than the Australian shut off valve. The brochure says I might need to buy a 3/8″ to 1/2″ coupling. Where would I get one of these and will a 1/2″ coupling fit an Australian standard inlet valve? HELPweb page[email]
        My email address for help replies is: [email protected][/email]

Participant

Good chance you will find its an illegal fitting in Australia.

Imagine you drop the rose into the toilet and then the SHIT gets sucked back into the drinking water

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.

Participant

Could a backflow preventer of some kind be installed to prevent that?

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
            Participant

The moderator should comment on this post as it is offensive to all that hold healt as a ideal. If he doesnt then he is failing in his duty of care.
              The poster should think of his actions to the rest of the community, I would class this post as “Terrorism” because it frightens the crap out of me.
              Regulations were brought in to protect the community. Special conditions are set for Bitets & bidetts, an air gap is required. if the spray rinse can possibly be under the rim then it must have a supply tank with a air gap.
              Bob

Participant

Any hand held device used for bathing should have an implemented backflow device or air gap as mentioned to prevent the reversal of flow which could contaminate the potable water supply. Not all handheld showers in the design for showering always have such implemented backflow devices since they are not meant to hang below the flood level rim in a normal fashion. Handheld shower assemblies specifically designed for such application use a wide variety of approved devices such as a vaccum breaker or check valve to prevent the reversal of contaminates.

I can recall hundreds if not thousands of cross-connections with wastewater to potable water by means of normal everyday plumbing materials.

For example:

3 foot of hose connected to a laundry faucet laying inside the tub below the flood level rim

Failing venturi sprayer used at the end of a garden hose used for spraying pesticides/chemicals

Anti-Siphon Hose Bibb with a brass plug screwed in replacement of the anti-siphon valve

Dishwasher discharge pipe directly connected to a tapped tailpiece under a sink

Reverse Osmosis system discharge tied directly into a drain without an Air Gap above the flood level rim

Good point taken Robert

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

» This message has been edited by DUNBAR on 21 November 2005

Participant

Because the hose can sit in faeces and urine, I think you will find a you might even need to go up a notch and use an RPZ style of valve.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.

» This message has been edited by bungie on 21 November 2005

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This