Remove Plugs from Cast Iron Radiators

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Remove Plugs from Cast Iron Radiators

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by RJS-Maine.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dbsmith

I am converting a One pipe steam heat system to a hot water system. The cast Iron Radiators are connected at the top so they can be converted but only have one pipe connection at the bottom. I am replacing the heat piping throughout the house but need to remove the plug at the other end of the radiator to make the second pipe connections. Do you have any suggestions / methods for removing this plug from the radiator?

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Well you need a 24or36″ pipe wrench, sometimes you can hit them with hammer and they come loose, best way I found was to take a torch and get it good and hot not red and they usually come out, sometimes you have to brak them out, let me know.

Art retired plbg

RJS-Maine
      Participant

Art, I got all of the plugs out of the radiators, I used a method a plumber friend suggested (after trying to use the 24″ wrench of course) I cut the nut off of the plug nut is hollow so then i cut down into the plug just short of the threads as to not damage the radiator threads. Then hit the edge of the plug with a chisel and hammer to bend or in some cases break the plug, and worked my way around the plug untill it could be spun out of the radiator. Some were quick, some took 45 minutes but the job is done. Do oyu have any suggestions for installing the new fittings, (teflon tape, adhesives etc.?)

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Telplon tape is good with pipe dope on it, besure to go clock wise with tape, let me know.

Art retired plbg

RJS-Maine
      Participant

Art,

Well we have installed 6 of the 9 radiators in the house and tested them with an Air compressor for leaks, so far so good. It is a labor intensive job but rewarding so far. I hope they put off some good heat, its starting to get cold here.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This