Removing and replacing Gas water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Removing and replacing Gas water heater

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I need to remove my old water heater and replace it with another…looks like 3 connections on top and a gas line on bottom. Never done anything like this…. anyone where I can find instructions?

Participant

http://www.thehomeshow.com/hih/howtos/water_heater/wheater.html

Here is instruction from Google, good luck. Be carefull, better off to have Plumber install it. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Geez

I can’t beleive what I am seeing in here – a “how to do” under Google, is this legal in the great US of A, that is an unqualified person undertaking this kind of work?? What happens if sometime after the work is completed a gas leak develops and the house burns down – do you still get Insurance payouts??
            Yep fer sure it is another World alrighty.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

This type of install would be contray to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code.

Our State Plumbing Code requires this type of plumbing work tobe done by a licensed plumber, unless it is a home owner doing work in his single family home owned and occupied by that person. Also permits and inspections are needed in many of the cities in our state.

We try to limit the damage the home owner can do.

Participant

Plumbill

I am very glad to hear that this kind of work would be illegal in your State – it should be the same for the whole of the US of A. If not both people and property are sitting on a potential timebomb just waiting for things to go wrong – which they WILL given the right circumstances.
                Thank you once again for your input.

Selgas Services Ltd

Participant

You can blame the box stores for a lot of the Plbg. being done in homes, and also the Gov. letting all of this go by, well they live and learn save a dollor and big cost in the long run, keep up the good work. Google has almost anything in Plbg. on how to fix it, sometimes you cant explain to these people how to fix things so go to google and it will tell you pretty good.

Art retired plbg

Participant

There is a lot to thank deregulation for but this is not one of them, hey don’t get me wrong here I am all in favour of homeowner’s doing a bit here and there to save bucks but I am really strongly against any homeowner doing any kind of work that crosses the path of Health and Safety – GAS is certainly one of the NO NO’s in my way of thinking for homeowners to undertake. Thanks for your input Retired plbg it is appreciated.

Selgas Services Ltd

Participant

I’m particularly concerned about “thehomeshow” instructions on how to check for gas leaks…they rightly suggest using soapy water rather than a flame, but they don’t say how to do this properly and I doubt that inexperienced folk would know how to perform or interpret the test. I use a combustible gas detector, which is more sensitive and a better way to go, but I doubt that the average DIYer would have one, since it costs about the same as the water heater itself…

I’ve really got to agree with Peter about Health and Safety, and I think thehomeshow site is somewhat irresponsible. I still have that Yankee view that COMPETENT folk should be given an opportunity to DIY, but the website would have been more responsible if they demanded that the amateur get his work checked and approved by a licensed plumber and the local authorities. It may be “legal” for homeowners in some jurisdictions to do their own plumbing, but their work should be subject to inspection and approval. The failure of “thehomeshow” site to insist on this detail seems highly irresponsible.

NtP

Participant

Here in Alaska a home owner can do just about anything he wants himself, INCLUDING replacing a water heater, as long as the work is done according to code. But it is not illegal for him to just do it and not report it if he is also the one living there. If he is renting it out then it’s a different story.

Far as testing for gas leaks after assembling/re-assembling black iron, an air test w/retard gauge is the only way IMO.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This