water heater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing water heater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Derek Brown

water over heats causing thermostat to kick out have changed both thermostats and both elements. works when bottom element is disconnected. Problem?

Selgas
      Participant

Hi there

From my reckoning and brain racking here I seem to remember coming accorss this problem before and the end result was to set the two thermostats at differing temperatures such as the bottom one at say 60 Degrees C and the top one at 50 Degrees C – given that the top one is only really a booster element anyways and will only readily heat the top section of the tank to provide a little hot water quickly – the bottom element is the one that really does all the work. If you set both stats to the same temp the top stat will run into overheat once the bottom thermostat reaches temperature due to the fact that hot water is les dense than cold water and rises to the top thereby overheating the top thermostat sensor.
      Give this a spin and see how you get on with it – let me know how it works for you will ya????

Selgas Services Ltd
      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Retired plbg1
      Participant

I think Peter is on right track, but also make sure the sluge is cleaned out of bottom of WH, while you have lower element out look and see if it is clear,I use a wet vac with a piece of water hose tapped on and clean mine out that way. let us know.

Art retired plbg

Selgas
      Participant

Why Art

Thank you for your kind words it seems us old farts might know a thing or two a time or two then maybe we jest forget a thing or two a time or two as well huh.
      Once again thanks for your input.

Selgas Services Ltd
      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This