noisy taps

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing noisy taps

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

The cold tap in the kitchen makes a very loud whine when turned on. It goes off only if it is turned on very hard. No other tap is affected. It’s been going on for a while, not sorting itself out. No changes were made that may have triggered it.

Participant

Shut water off to the faucet and remove the cold side stem. Replace the seat washer, inspect brass seat for wear, use plumber’s grease on all moving parts when reinstalling and make sure that the seat screw is firmly holding the washer to the stem.

Snug up packing nut to disallow unnecessary movement of stem. Not too tight, just enough to allow easy turning without much effort. Too loose will produce a leak directly under the handle.

DUNBAR

Website Moderator

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
          Participant

Alex.
            You called it a tap!
            Do you come from Australia??
            Did you last use a domed type washer??
            If so
            1. take the tap top assembly from the tap body.
            2. inspect the seat, if corroded or scored get a
            proffessional tap reseater, (aprox $100) I would
            recommend Hydroseal.
            3. after reseating get a good quality valve (flat washer)
            4. reinstall the tap with the new washer.
            Alternativly get a pair of “Ram” 3/4 turn C/D Stop tops & handles, be very carefull in both installing the “RAM” tap tops & the reseating. It will possibly be more cost effective to employ a Plumber.

Regards Bob

Participant

Bob

Hey they may even be Kiwi or a Pom ya know lol

Selgas Services Ltd
              Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

Sorry **** Peter
                We are not allowed to use “Mate” any more, so I suppose we will have to remember names now.
                I appologise profusely, I am at present lying Prosrate & flagilating myself. I was unaware that Kiwi’s called tap’s tap’s.
                My son is in New Zealand at the moment, he is staying in the Pub, he is about 6ft 8 tall with a three ft wife & 3 kids, if you see him, say hello.
                Bob

Participant

Bob
                  You sounded like a true blue Aussie. Could you tell me what you think of Aqualoc tap valves (an Aussie invention, I believe) and whether they are value for money for domestic use at A$31.00 a pair compared with other tap valves at A$2.50 each at the most.

Regards

Participant

41ewingA.
                    Bloke I sertunly am a Ozzie. First time I have heard of “Aqualoc”, I have checked the site out & they seem great, the endorsments are good but then I suppose they will never put in adverse endorsements.
                    I would give them a go if I knew a supplier, I will check that out.
                    Bob

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This