Convert shower into bath?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Convert shower into bath?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      David Price

I need some advice. I am about to have a baby and live in a townhouse with 2 bathrooms but no bath, only showers. The bathrooms are both relatively small. When the baby is about 6 months old, I will really need somewhere bigger to bath her besides the laundry trough! I have seen square shower bases that double as a bath. This would be perfect to bath a baby/toddler in. Is it possible to replace the current shower base in my main bathroom with one of these square shower baths? Does anybody know of a plumber that would do this for me and the approximate cost as I am on a very tight budget. Thanks. I reside in Melbourne.

Kelli

Selgas
      Participant

Kelli

From where I am standing I would suggest you contact one of your local Plumbers and seek their advice and estimate to undertake the work you require to be done.
      Simply because from here non of us can visualise your bathroom situation and really without seeing it we would only be guessing. In some instances “shubs” can be readily installed to replace shower bases but again in most cases it is really not quite that easy as often the shower wall linings have to be lifted or removed to get the shower base out from under it. Again as I have said ask a local Plumber to visit and see the job and give you a quote for the work.
      Sorry that I cannot be more specific.
      Enjoy the peace and quiet you have now as it will soon be broken as will the nights sleep!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd
      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Like the other man said it would be a job, change the drain and water, which involves lots of work and money. i suggestyou look around at the different places that have plastic tubs, not bath tubs but they make all kinds of plastic containers now, when I was akid mymon washed us in a gal. tun, also go to one of the places that sell handicap Eg. might find something there, let us know.

Art retired plbg

Kelli
      Participant

Hi Peter & Art,

I am not sure where you are located but I am in Australia. I am not sure whether shower bases are installed differently there but looking at mine, it appears to be a stand alone shower base that is not in any way connected or related to the tiled walls on two sides of it. It does not look as though it would be too difficult to remove. As the plumbing is already done (taps and shower head) and drainage hole in place, I thought it would have been a simple matter of ripping out one shower base and replacing it with another that has higher sides?

Kelli

Robert Stephen Morton
      Participant

kelli. Your post indicates that the shr base must be removed to allow installation of a shr/bath.
      This would need removal of wall sheeting/tiles.
      If the Plumbing,Building is not carried out to Australia’s Building Codes & Plumbing Codes by fully licensed persons then if you did in the future have leakage problems then you would have no insurance cover.
      I suggest that you engage a fully licensed builder/plumber to undertake the work or simply get a plastic bath as an insert in the existing shr cubicle.
      Bob

Kelli
      Participant

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to think the plastic bath insert may be the cheapest and easiest option! I have no idea however, where to find such a plastic bath. A square shaped one that I can take in and out the shower or simply leave permanently in the ensuite shower would be perfect. Where do I get one??!! Can you please lead me in the right direction?

Kelli

Kelli
      Participant

Hi again Bob,

Just one more quick question. If I did decide to get the shower base replaced, why would the tiles need to be removed? By looking at my shower, it appears the tiles end and the shower base starts and are not “connected” as such. Why could the shower base not be ripped out and the tiles left where they are? I am confused.

Kelli

Kelli
      Participant

Me again,

I have now called up a plastics place who have a heavy duty Nylex plastic tub measuring 610mm 610mm (465mm high). My shower base is 800mm 800mm so this would fit perfectly and would fit quite a large child in!! Heck i could sit in it! Cost is (AUD) $230.00 which is a lot cheaper than installing a proper bath! For less than $20 they can sell me a tank outlet kit (what is this?) which apparently my handy partner can install with a drill. He tried to explain it to me but says its just like a plug hole in the bottom to let the water out. Thoughts and suggestions on this?? Price seem ok?

Kelli

Robert Stephen Morton
      Participant

Kelli. I have been voyer since my teenage year’s so I have got a good imagination.
      The plug & washer in the bottom of the tub sounds the best idea.
      Next time you are at the Hardware store – ask them if they have the instructions for fitting a shr base – especially the tiling edge, that will explain the reason for removing the tiles.
      All the best
      Bob

Selgas
      Participant

Kelli

Go with the plastic insert sure a lot cheaper and hey I am in NZ gal so it is not too far away!!!!
      The hole in the base thing is just like the drain fitting you have in your hand basin – insert the plug and fill remove the plug to empty!!!!

Selgas Services Ltd
      Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Kelli
      Participant

Thanks guys for your advice. I thought this was going to cost me an arm and a leg but the plastic bath is a great solution and a fraction of the cost and will keep baby clean right up until she is a toddler and can learn to stand under a shower! I think I will order the tub tomorrow as it takes 5 weeks to get in apparently.

I thought it might also be a good idea to replace my standard shower head with one of those shower heads on a long lead – making it easier to fill the bath and spray on the baby. Sound good? Are these inexpensive? Is this a job my “handy” partner could do?

Only question i have is this – if the tub/container sits flush against the shower base and a plug hole is put in the bottom, will the water be able to get out/escape?? I think the guy said the other option would be to put a little outlet tap thing at the side but I like the idea of the plug at the bottom better.

Kelli

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This