Tub won’t drain; what could be going on?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Tub won’t drain; what could be going on?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

We have a tub that has a lever drain; flip up to hold water, down to drain. It has been not draining unless we leave liquid drain cleaner to sit overnight. Occasionally it will drain on its own, but again it takes all night for 4″ of water to drain. Last night I took the plate off and removed the plug “thing”, the plate/heavy part that plugs when the lever is flipped. It wasn’t very dirty, but I cleaned it off as I read elsewhere, even poured some liquid drain cleaner down the overflow pipe and flushed with hot water. Still not draining. I bailed most of the water and this morning the tub was empty. I ran some hot water from the tap and while it took a bit to drain, it eventually did. I filled the tub about 1/3 of the way for my sons to bathe, and the dumb thing again won’t drain. I snaked the overflow last night, nothing came up or seemed to be blocking. I don’t know what is going on but it’s driving us crazy. We just had $400 in work done in April, I really don’t want to have to call a plumber again, especially with our quarterly tax payment due this month.
      Any advice?

Thank you.

Tami

CincinnatiPlumbing
      Participant

You bathtub drain is clogged. I know you said you snaked the drain, but you probably didnt go far enough, used a cable that was too small, didnt have the experience necessary to clear the clog or a combination of any of the above. Liquid drain cleaners are worthless and can actually cause a clog to worsen rather than clear up. Bite the bullet and call a plumber. Be sure to let him/her know that you’ve been using a liquid drain cleaner so no surprises splash up.

Good luck

Retired plbg1
      Participant

The amount of water you put in and it started to fill leads me to say that stoppage is not far, what kind of trap is on the tub, if uou have a drum are salem bath trap you would not go far with cable, if you can get to trap take it apart and see if it is not full of hair, if it is ap-Trap take the 2 nuts loose, if it is one of the others you have one big cap to take off, let us know.

Art retired plbg

AKPlumber
      Participant

Sounds to me like Cin is right, you may have snaked it with one of those handheld little crank snakes but either did’nt go far enough or not big enough cable.

Call a sewer and drain company. They have tub drain machines with long cables and experienced techs, prolly would take one less than an hour charge to clear it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This