Grohe 34.124 Rough-In Valve Installation In Acrylic Shower

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Grohe 34.124 Rough-In Valve Installation In Acrylic Shower

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi All.
        Need some advice, please. Building a new home and wanted a custom shower in the Master Bath. Purchased a Grohe 34.124 rough-in thermostatic valve, 3 body sprays, and a wall union/holder for a hand shower. Going to install components in a Pearl acrylic shower.
        I received all the valves and trims and started reading the documentation for all and inspecting the pieces and parts and starting to get nervous about the installation because they all seem to be geared toward a custom tile shower installation and not a thin plastic shower installation. According to the diagram for the thermostatic valve, a LARGE hole must be cut into the shower wall to be able to access the parts inside the valve for maintenance/adjustment. Naturally, I am leary of cutting that large of a hole in the shower unit and not having it work/seal correctly! I haven’t received the shower unit itself but I assume the thickness of the walls to be fairly thin. Specifically, the valves and sparays have no real mounting/attaching provisions to “mount” into holes in the shower. I am planning the installation myself so any advise as to “attach” the valves/sprays to the acrylic shower wall would be appreciated. Also, all the valves/sprays/volume controls are threaded; would I be better off disassembling everything to remove the plastic parts and sweating the threaded fittings to copper adapters, or would the use of pipe dope or teflon tape be ok. Thanks in advance for the help, as I don’t know if I spent $1600 on valves and parts was the best idea I had!
        Jay

Participant

The shower valve isnt anchored to the shower wall itself. I anchor the piping to the studs using the copper clad hangers that will best work (there are a number of them on the market-van hangers, copper j-hooks, split ring, two hole strap, etc). I also solder the copper piping to the copper clad anchors. As far as the hole that needs to be made in the wall goes, how big of a hole are we talking about? It is typical to have a 3″ hole in the wall where the faucet is. Whatever size Grohe recommends, the eschusion (s) should cover them. The thing I’d be careful about though is to be sure the valve itself is mounted within the specified distance to the shower wall itself. In addition, I always solder male adapters into the shower valve after removing all plastic components. It might be a bit of overkill, but I dont ever want to have to worry about a threaded fitting in a wall springing a leak.

Good luck!

Participant

Cant you cut hole in back partion to get to shower valve later and put in ac cess door.

Art retired plbg

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This