PVC leak

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing PVC leak

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

The joints of my PVC pipes on my pools solar heating system are leaking. Is there a recommended glue that can be used to solve this problem?

Participant

A Solvent Cement designed for PVC pipe fittings is the only way to go this stuff can be purchased at most Plumbing wholesalers. It is a liquid that is brushed onto both the male and the female ends of the pipe then the joints are pushed into each other and held for around 30 seconds or so and wella you have a water tight joint!!!
          Warning – the fittings and the pipe MUST be clean and dry before any solvent is applied otherwise a seal will not be the result!!

Selgas Services Ltd
          Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

The pipes/fittings that are already solvent welded together and are leaking will need to be removed and repiped. Solvent cement and PVC cleaner (I use cleaner, other people use primer..different components used for the same thing) fuse the fitting an pipe together as “one” piece. For most swimming pool applications here, “blue” PVC solvent cement is used. This solvent will work even when some water is present.

After using the cleaner on both fitting and pipe then applying solvent cement, slide the fitting onto the pipe giving it a 1/4 turn “twist”. This helps spread the cement throughout the fitting socket. Hold for 30 seconds and that should do it.

Good luck

Participant

It also can be welded with a PVC welding machine.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Heck I tried one of them welding machines before….the pipe just got too dang hot! roflol

Participant

You must have not gotten all the water out, they worked fine for me.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thank you all for your expertise. I’m assuming by what you’ve all said that I’ll have at replace all the PVC pipes and joints??? Can you cut the leaking joints off and replace with new joints or is it best just to replace all pipes and joints?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This