smelly toilet

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing smelly toilet

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      MasterPlumbers
      Keymaster

I re-tiled my bathroom a year and a half ago, and it raised the level of the floor a bit. When I re-attached the toilet, I installed a collar to the metal ring where the toilet attaches to the floor to raise the toilet up as well. Everything was fine until a month or so ago, when the bathroom started to smell a bit.
      A few days ago, I came home and it smelled like someone had been spraypainting in the house. I realized sewer gas must be leaking through the wax seal, so I took the toilet off and replaced the wax seal. It still smelled a bit (but much less so) so I took the toilet off again, threw the old seal away, cleaned up everything, and was really careful to make sure all gaps, etc were filled w. extra wax.
      I then placed an extra-thick wax seal around the sewer opening and placed the toilet back on. It is firmly in place, it doesn’t rock or sway, and there are no visible leaks, but there is still a faint smell of sewer gas that seems to be coming from the toilet.
      If anyone has any suggestions on what it might be, it would be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks,
      Joe

Retired plbg1
      Participant

That flange you attached to old flange did it have a seal on it, if not take it up and take off extension flange and put a small ring of bowl wax on existing flange and clamp on extension flange and put down wax ring and set bowl. Let me know if that works, is old flange still secure, you did not break it.

Art retired plbg

joe mckendry1
      Participant

thanks for the advice on the smelly toilet. I guess a follow up question I would have for you is: Why would the new flange not have been a problem after I first installed it (everything was fine for about a year and a half) and then become a problem now? Originally I filled the gaps around the new flange with caulk. Is wax a better seal than caulk? Does caulk loosen over time?
      And finally, are there any other sources that you can think of for an odor other than sewer gas?
      Thanks again!
      Joe

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Cauking is no good under toilet, it washes away, use the bowl wax. Is there a basemnt under toilet where you can get to pipes and check? There is always a possibility of a vent pipe being broke or a bad joint, also the wood floor could be wet and smelly, but you said it smelled like spray paint, sewer gas doesn’t smell that way, it is a terrible smell. Have you got a furnace in basement that has bad plenum? If you cant find it I guess you will have to get somebody in to locate it, let me know.

Art retired plbg

» This message has been edited by John Aldrich on 22 December 2004

» This message has been edited by John Aldrich on 22 December 2004

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This