Pipes knocking anf toilet automatic flush sound

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pipes knocking anf toilet automatic flush sound

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      deonsnider

I posted here about a month ago or longer regarding our pipes making a noise every since we have had a new hot water heater installed. We are still having the problem. some days it is more than others. I have also noticed that, during the night, I hear our toilet automatically flushing or making the flush sound. Can someone enlighten us as to why this is happening? We are literally going crazy with the ‘spooky’ happenings.

» This message has been edited by Pat Hauck on 14 December 2004

Retired plbg1
      Participant

One thing is some of your water pipes might not be fastened down good and if your flapper is leaking in toilet tank could be the flushing sound you hear. Take some egg dye and put into toilet tank and see if it leaks in bowl, if so replace flapper and test again. Some times when I get up in morning and get galss of water my toilet groans, they call it ghost flushing, probably cause by sudden release of water pressure. Let me know.

Art retired plbg

Retired plbg1
      Participant

Another thing is that since water heater was replaced you could have a loose washer on cold water valve on heater When you hear the noise turn off valve and see if it stops, could be another valve in youtr house, make sure you turn them back on.

Art retired plbg

Pat Hauck
      Participant

Art, thanks for responding. We are presently checking hot and cold water. We still hear the clicking noise. I believe you responded to my email around the middle of November and sent it to my email address. I ran it off but have misplaced it. You told us what to do in checking the water; e.g., shut off the main valve, drain the system, etc. Can you give us these directions again?

Thank you for responding.
      Pat Hauck

Retired plbg1
      Participant

The only way I see is to shut off each valve in house until you find one making noise. Also the toilets, Its kind of hard to tell you whats wrong because I am not there, so you just have to try until you find it.

Art retired plbg

Pat Hauck
      Participant

Hello Art, and a very Happy New Year to you and yours!

Here is what is going on so far since I first wrote you:

We still have the noise in the pipes when water, toilet, etc. is turned off/on. We had BGE (gas and electric)check it out, since it occurred once they installed our electric water heater. I don’t remember the quote anymore, but it was a substantial amount for them to come out and try and correct the problem, which I think they created.

OK, so we called another plumber, who never responded to our phone call. He did some work when our kitchen was remodeled two years ago. Very good plumber. Then, we called the retired electrician who did some electrical work in the kitchen and asked him if he could recommend someone (since we felt he could recommend someone who was reliabale)…he gave us a name, we called…he never called back. Can you feel my frustration building? Then, I told my husband it was his turn to seek out a plumber, but not to contact the largest add in the phone book, because I did that to have my corian sinks installed and I really screwed up that time. I thought because he had a huge one page add, he was great. He was a rookie, and now I have an extension of corion over my toilet tank that is going to be a problem when it comes time to fix the innerds of the toilet tank. “My fault”….at great expense.

So, we get this plumber who has a big add, because my husband made the phone call, and he said he could come out in ten days, meaning ‘today’… at 9 a.m. He was very prompt. Young guy…impressionable…clean cut…and this is his diagnosis:

Install Press. Reg. Valve & Tank – $577.00
      Main Service Valve 3/4″ w/PRV Insta.. $125
      Install New Wash Mach. Shutoff Hoses $289.00
      Press. Reg. Valve 3/4 ” $345.00
      Plus, a $79 warranty for 3 consecutive years. This warranty will allow us to have anything done at the end of the third year, free.. I assume.

I’m nauseated! I just had to pay almost $600 afor the hot water heater. My husband was ready to go along with it, and I said, NO…I need another opinion.

Are we being manipulated because we are senior citizens? I need your sincerest opinion on what is happening. I could never have said no before … but I did this time. Please advise me.

As for the flushing noise I have been hearing, I think you were on the mark … it does seem to be when the flap doesn’t go down completely.

Pat

Retired plbg1
      Participant

PRV valve dont cost that much, but it sounds like you have to do it with the valve and PRV and go from there. When you got high pressure you get some noise and pipe singing, if it dont stop try to shut valves down at each fixture and if it still does it shut each one off 1 at a time, start at the last fixture on the pipe you could shut every valve off in house and then flush toilets and open faucets on fix. and leave main valve on, then open one at a time and see what happens, either way you should find it, but it takes time. Let me know.

Pat Hauck
      Participant

Art,

I am here to report what has occurred since I last emailed you regarding the pipes knocking/clicking.

Once the plumber left me with all the PRV’s that had to be done along with wanting to replace my hoses to the washing macine, I tallied up what the amount would be: It comes to $1333.00.

Now, minutes after this plumber left (my husband almost went through with this and I said no, I need another opinion) my nephew called – ‘divine inervention’. I told him what was happening and what the plumber told me needed to be done to get rid of the clicking/knocking. Dan, my nephew, wrote it all down as I was talking to him, and he said, Aunt Pat, I’ll do it. Well, they live in PA and we’re in MD. They arrived yesterday and stayed overnight. It took Dan about two to two-onehalf hours to complete his job, and he even installed a light switch for us on the wall in the laundry room. He told us he spent about $200 for the supplies we needed, and HE GOT RID OF THE KNOCK. He also dida few things that he said are now becoming part of a code, regarding the flow of water to the outside, and he also installed the new hoses to my washing machine. . Our nephew is in business for himself and does custom remodeling. In high school, he was part of a team that built a home. He is so talented, but he is also 150 miles away. I am just happy that he wanted to visit us, so this was his excuse. We gave him $500, which he refused, but he managed to stick it with his things that he will find. A lot better than $1333.

Art, I’m telling you all this because you tried to be so helpful, and you were on the right track. Danny thinks the water heater expansion tank is the thing that was necessary to correct our problem. As I said, it was ‘divine intervention’, since Dan called minutes after the plumber (with his attache’ case) left our home.

Thanks for all your help, and I hope you continue on to help the ‘helpless’ who need your advice.

Pat

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This