PLEASE HELP!!! THE WATER IN MY HOUSE IS MAKING ME VERY, VERY SICK!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing PLEASE HELP!!! THE WATER IN MY HOUSE IS MAKING ME VERY, VERY SICK!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

I’VE BEEN VERY, VERY SICK SINCE 1998. EVERYTIME I USE THE HOT OR COLD WATER IN ANY APPLIANCE, SINK OR SHOWER MY SKIN BURNS, ITCHES AND BREAKS OUT INTO A RASH AND I HAVE CHRONIC EAR, NOSE AND THROAT PROBLEMS. PLUS, I’M LOSING MY HAIR AND TEETH AND I’M ONLY IN MY EARLY THIRTIES!!

THE WATER IS ALSO CAUSING MY CLOTHES TO ROT!

WE HAVE REPLACED ALL APPLIANCES AND PLUMBING ASSOCIATED WITH WATER BECAUSE THEY BREAK OR RUST. LAST NIGHT. I FILLED A CLEAR GLASS PITCHER WITH HOT WATER AND NOTICED THE WATER WAS SO CLOUDY, YOU COULDN’T SEE THROUGH IT AT ALL.
        I THEN TRIED THE COLD WATER AND IT IS CLOUDY BUT NOT AS MUCH.

WE REPLACED OUR 50 GAL ELECT. STATE HOT WATER HEATER THAT WAS ORIGINALLY PURCHASED IN 1998 THIS PAST SUMMER WITH A 50 GAL ELECT WHIRLPOOL.
        BOTH THERMOSTATS ARE SET AT 130 AND THE WATER NEVER EVEN FEELS LUKE WARM. ALSO, I CAN SEE LITTLE BLACK BUGS (I THINK IT’S SOME KIND OF BACTERIA) FLOATING IN THE HOT WATER AND I’M PRETTY SURE THEY’RE THE ROOT CAUSE OF MY HEALTH PROBLEMS. I ALSO SMELL ROTTEN EGGS FROM MY HOT WATER HEATER THAT SEEMS TO GET MUCH WORSE DAY AFTER DAY.

THE LAST PROBLEM I HAVE, I CAN’T FIND A PLUMBER OR HOME INSPECTER THAT KNOWS THE CAUSE OR HOW TO FIX IT!!!

MY BEST FRIENDS OWN A LARGE LOCAL PLUMBING COMPANY AND MY IN-LAW WORKS FOR THEM AS A MASTER PLUMBER. I’VE HAD BOTH THE OWNER AND MY IN-LAW HERE AND NEITHER ONE KNOWS THE PROBLEM.
        (I HOPE THEY DON’T KNOW AND NOT JUST PUTTING ON!)

I KNOW A FEW OTHER FOLKS AROUND TOWN THAT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE, BUT THEY DON’T LIVE IN MY AREA. COULD THIS BE A CITY WATER PROBLEM? IF SO, THEN WHAT?

PLEASE HELP!!! I’M SO SICK OF BEING SICK!!!
        I WANT MY LIFE BACK…

I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!

SINCERELY,

CRISTI
        null

CRISTI

Participant

Sounds like you are on city water, take some water and have it tested and give results to Health Dept. and go from there, There might be a cross con. on the water main like well water con. into the city water, you dont have that at your house do you. Tell me what goes on and all I can say is drink bottle water and go to YMCA and take your bath.

Art retired plbg

Participant

I was wondering if water softner would help.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Is your water supply BORE water or from a DAM.

You should direct your complaint to the Water Authority as it is definately the suppliers responsibility to cure the problem

Participant

Dear Art and Stewart,

Thank you both for your prompt replies! I will contact the city first thing Monday morning. I’ll let you know what comes of it!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Cristi

Participant

MY OWN SEWER HAS BEEN BACKING UP LATELY ON AVERAGE OF 1 WEEK. MY IN LAW SNAKES IT OUT FROM THE CLEAN OUT IN THE FRONT YARD TO ANYWHERE FROM 30-40′ OUT, WHICH IS MY PROPERTY.
                  FROM WHAT I’VE READ, I UNDERSTAND, THIS COULD BE THE SOURCE OF CONTAINAMATION, RIGHT?

STEWART, I’M NOT SURE I KNOW WHAT BORE WATER IS-I’M ON CITY WATER.

MY NEIGHBORHOOD, AS WELL AS MY HOME, WAS BUILT IN THE 1960’S AND EVERYONE HAS THAT WONDERFUL CORROGUATED SEWER PIPE AND GALVINIZED PLUMBING IN OUR SLABS. NEIGHBORS ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY REPAIRING/REPLACING THE SEWER PIPES AS NEEDED AND THE CITY CLAIMS THEY AREN’T RESPONSIBLE. EVEN WHEN THEY GO OUT TO THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET TO THE MANHOLE! WHAT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY? DOES EACH CITY DIFFER?

MY HOUSE BURNED IN 1998 AND WHEN THEY INSTALLED THE PLUMBING LINES FROM THE SLAB UP, THEY USED COPPER. IS IT OKAY TO USE COPPER AND GALVINIZED TOGETHER? THE COPPER HAS TURNED GREEN AND I HAVE BLACK STAINS ON MY SILVER FIXTURES.

I TURNED OFF THE HOT WATER HEATER AND SHUT THE WATER OFF ALL TOGETHER AT THE MAIN BECAUSE I FEEL MUCH BETTER WHEN IT’S OFF. WHEN I NEED TO FLUSH THE TOLIET, I RUN OUT AND TURN THE WATER ON JUST LONG ENOUGH TO DO SO AND THAT TERRIBLE ROTTEN EGG SMELL SEEPS BACK INTO MY HOUSE. SO APPARENTLY, IT’S NOT JUST THE HOT WATER BUT COLD TOO.

IF THIS HOUSE BELONGED TO ONE OF YOU GUYS, YOUR WIFE WAS SICK AND THE CITY CLAIMED NO RESPONSIBILITY, WOULD YOU SINK THE KIND OF MONEY INTO IT THAT I’M AFRAID I’M ABOUT TO, REPLACING THE SEWER LINE, ADDING A WATER SOFTNER, POSSIBLY A BACKFLOW PREVENTER, A NEW HUSBAND, ETC…OR WOULD YOU JUST WASH YOUR HANDS OF IT?

SEE, I’VE BEEN SO SICK, I LOST MY JOB, OUR MAIN SOURCE OF INCOME. I’VE ASK MY FAMILY FOR HELP, BUT THEY ARE VERY APPRENHISVE. I CAN’T MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND I’VE LOST MY COORDINATION, MY ABILITY TO REASON AND MY BALANCE. I CAN’T GO ON A INTERVIEW-I DON’T EVEN HAVE THE STRENGTH TO GET DRESSED. THEY BOUGHT OUR HOT WATER HEATER, WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS MAKING ME SICK. NOW I’M CERTAIN IT’S WHATEVER THE CAUSE OF THIS ODOR IS.

I’VE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO SMELL THIS ROTTEN EGG SMELL BUT NOBODY ELSE CAN! DUH! THEIR NOSES STOP UP THE MINUTE THEY COME THROUGH THE DOOR! SINCE THEY CAN’T SMELL IT-THEY ALL THINK I’M CRAZY AND IT’S ALL IN MY HEAD. I EVEN STARTED THINKING IT COULD BE MY HUSBAND I’M SMELLING…BUT THE SMELL STILL PERSIST, EVEN WHEN HE’S NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

THANK YOUR FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. YOUR KNOWLEDGE IS WILL BE VERY HELPFUL AND I WON’T FEEL LIKE A FOOL WHEN SPEAKING TO THE CITY OR PROPER AUTHORITIES ABOUT THIS!

SINCERELY,

CRISTI

Participant

Hi cristi.
                    Bore water is a water supply sourced from underground springs.

Your sewer drianage lines would not be connected to your water supply, this would not be the contamination problem.

Here in Sydney the owners responsibility for water and drainage is only on their own property external to the boundaries is the responsibility of the Authority in control of the services (the one you get the bill from).

It is okay to mix copper and galvanised pipes, do not worry about the green,just wipe it off.

You do not have to turn the water off at the main,water only comes out of the pipes if you turn on a tap or flush the toilet.

You have to engage a plumber to check out this problem NOT RELATIVES you start replacing anything or buying a water softener.

I am sorry that you are not well and no doubt these problems are not making you any better.

I think it is quite funny to think your husband could stink that bad.

You have a serious problem and it can be fixed by an expert , your family I am sure will help you

Regards
                    Stewart.

Participant

Did you get sample of water and have it tested, why dont you move to a motel for awhile until this gets straighten out. Have the health dept. come over and check, are the envourist.

Art retired plbg

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                      Participant

Plumbing is the forefront of Health. Without a clean Potable water supply & a properly installed & maintained Sanitary Drainage system we sink into a third world situation as described by cristicae teiger.
                        cristi, call a fully licensed plumber to fully audit your plumbing system which seems to be presently maintained by your rellies & also have your Sanitary drainage system inspected by CCTV.
                        Repair or replace the faulty pipes & fittings, have the water tested to make sure of its integrity.
                        When you are assured of a safe potable water supply & a properly functioning Sanitay Drainage system which removes your waste water in a safe Hygenic manner you will then be freed to address your mental fitness & inner well being.
                        Bob

Participant

I DID CALL THE CITY AND THEY SENT A YOUNG MAN OUT TO TEST MY WATER. HE TESTED THE COLD HERE AND SAID IT WAS FINE. HE TOLD ME HE COULDN’T HELP ME WITH THE HOT, AS IT WAS MY PLUMBERS RESPONSIBILITY.

AFTER TALKING TO HIM A BIT MORE, HE CAME BACK IN AND TOOK A SAMPLE OF MY HOT WATER AND TOOK TO THE CITY LAB TO INSPECT FOR BACTERIA, WHICH I AM TOLD THEY DID NOT FIND. HE ALSO OPENED UP THE TWO FIRE HYDRANTS, MY HOUSE SETS SQUARE IN THE MIDDLE OF, ON MY STREET TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE OF OF THEM?

DIDN’T SEEM TO HELP. BUT I THANKED HIM FOR HIS EFFORTS.

I’VE BEEN TOLD I HAVE PARASITES. WHEN I RUN BATH WATER, THE LITTLE CREATURES I’VE SEEN ON MY SKIN, SHOWS UP IN THE TUB AND ON THE FLOOR AROUND MY TUB. WHEN I CLEAN AROUND THE OVERFLOW, SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE CRUMPLED UP OREO COOKIES COMES OUT FROM BEHIND THE FIXTURE WITH MORE LITTLE CREATURES. WHAT IS THAT AND WHAT CAUSES IT?

HOW CAN I TEST FOR HARD WATER?

CRISTI

Participant

http://www.sewl.com.au/sewl/index.asp?link_id=30.421
                            I got this link from http://www.google.com They have a lot of sites on parasites in you water. Go on it and ask how to get rid of Parasites in your water pipe.

Art retired plbg

Avatar photoRobert Stephen Morton
                            Participant

Cristi.
                              What you have described is vermin coming from under your bath.
                              Your house sounds as though it is uninhabitable because of the:-
                              1. Plumbing & drainage in poor repair.
                              2. Building allowing vermin entry.
                              Call a health inspector to inspect your living conditions.

Bob

Participant

I’VE BEEN TOLD I HAVE PARASITES. WHEN I RUN BATH WATER, THE LITTLE CREATURES I’VE SEEN ON MY SKIN, SHOWS UP IN THE TUB AND ON THE FLOOR AROUND MY TUB. WHEN I CLEAN AROUND THE OVERFLOW, SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE CRUMPLED UP OREO COOKIES COMES OUT FROM BEHIND THE FIXTURE WITH MORE LITTLE CREATURES. WHAT IS THAT AND WHAT CAUSES IT?

HOW CAN I TEST FOR HARD WATER?

My answer to your questions is predicated on my assumption that your postings are serious and that you are an otherwise sane person. The reason I have to preface my comments thus is because your posts could be interpreted as flames and/or paranoid obsessions.

I will, however, respond in all seriousness.

If you are on a municipal water supply, your municipal water supplier is required by law to provide safe potable water, and if you feel you are being made ill by that water you have the right to complain about it and have the water tested. If you don’t trust the water company, you can have the water tested for chemical and biological purity by an independent lab, or by the Public Health Department in your area.

Who told you that you had “parasites?” Water may be contaminated with parasites. The common ones are amoebas, cryptosporidium, and certain flagellate species. All of them are easy to detect by competent microbiology labs. These same labs can also check for bacterial and viral pathogens (which are not “parasites”).

Your house plumbing might be at fault (rather than the municipal water supply itself). If so, your water samples should come from the faucets in your plumbing fixtures.

I haven’t mentioned radiological testing, because this is not usually done (chemical and biological testing is, however, routine). Nonetheless, if you really want to be thorough, you could ask the lab to check your water for radioactivity.

NtP

Participant

Think you will find that the hot water system you have has the wrong sacrificial anode for the water you have. That would create the smell, the oxygenated water in the hot (not the cold) and the little black specs as the anode disintegrates.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.

Participant

This woman is losing hair and teeth? Could there be a lead problem here?

Participant

Worked in nursing homes for years as on-site maintenance. I’ve seen this and very similar complaints several times. My gut says parasitosis. Talk to your doctor about this.

Participant

Crumpled up oreo cookies and more creatures. LOL This is priceless.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This