Outdoor Water Line

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Outdoor Water Line

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am installing an outdoor water line to a frost free hydrant. I have purchased an 3/4″ black poly pipe to make the run and will be trenching 36″ deep. I am not sure what kind of fittings I need to attach the black pipe to the copper pipe (3/4″) that will be coming through my basement wall. Can anyone suggest what kind of fittings/connections I will need or maybe a web link that has good descriptions for installing outdoor water lines?

Randy

Participant

There ar many ways to connect the two pipes, adapters male and female, unions and nipples. What I would do is get a 3/4″ copper sweat by 3/4″ male union for copper and get a 3/4″ female adapter for the PVC pipe. Male adapters on PVC have thin threads and break easy.

Art retired plbg

Participant

That’s kind of what I was thinking about using but I am not sure (if I do it that way) what kind of female adapter to use and how to connect the adapter to the black poly pipe. There are 2 female adapters possible. One is the plastic and the other is a metal (I think SS). Is one better than the other? I also don’t know what is best to use when connecting the female adapter to the black poly pipe. Do I use a SS clamp or are there some compression fittings that I can use? I am not sure which is best to prevent any leaking.

Randy

Participant

Where you bought the pipe ask them what they got. They make a conpression fitting for the black pipe, there are so many ways to do it but you will have to decide, they might also have glue fittings for that pipe, make sure you get right lue. I would use compresion fitting before I would use clamp underground. I used comp. fitting on my water service and it has been in ground 10 yrs, what ever fitting you use measure where they are located.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Thanks for your help. I was kind of unsure about using a clamp underground. I will see what kind of compression fittings are available for pipe.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This