Water Heater Sediment

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Heater Sediment

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

White Particles are showing up in all the hotwater lines that have filters (shower, washine machine, etc.) Gas Water heater is over 6 yrs old and has never been drained. I am thinking of drain it but I am am wondering if this is the cause and will draining solve the problem?

Participant

Water heater should be drained once a year.

Yes. I would drain the water heater first to remove the sediment.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Participant

By draining the cylinder at least annually you will increase it’s working life but better still you will keep your gas bills under control. If the cylinder is not drained then the sediment as well as particals of lime or calcium deposits will attach to the base of the internal cylinder and create a thin form of insulation that effects the heat transfer to the water from the heat of the gas being burnt.

Selgas Services Ltd
            Craftsman Gasfitters, Plumbers, Electrical Service Technicians

Participant

If these white particles appear tobe plastic they could be parts from the plastic dip tube in the water heater. If you run short of hot water sooner then you use to, you will know that it is time for a new dip tube.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This