New acrylic sink – Drain install?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing New acrylic sink – Drain install?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I know, I know – shoud have called a pro to start with, and I may still have to, but here’s the situation:

Yesterday we got our new acrylic countertops installed, with integrated sink. I thought it would be a breeze to hook up the plumbing and was right – except for the new drains. Had to get new drains (at HD) and used epoxy putty around the flange to set in the hole. HOWEVER, this sink’s drain holes are sloped somewhat and the putty didn’t seal either drain properly. Now I’ve got a real problem: How can I seal these things now that the putty has set?

PLEASE help! I searched the archives here and can’t find that anyone has asked this question before. Am I really the only person dumb enough to have tried this himself?

Thanks.

Participant

You should have used plumbers putty. Buying stuf at box store they do not know how to install Plumbing and they will sell you anything wheater it is right are wrong. Without seeing it, can you use putty now are the epoxycy to seal around it. If you cant then all I know is cut it out and get new ones and use Plumbers putty for all strainers in all fixtures.

Art retired plbg

Participant

Manufacturers of marble and some acrylic sinks say not to use plumbers putty on their products because it will stain the fixture.Make sure you read instructions before hand.Most usually have a sticker by the drain stating this.Just my two cents worth.

Participant

Thanks, Guys.

Any ideas on trying to pop the drains out of the sinks from underneath? I don’t know how well that plumbers epoxy sets on the acrylic surface.

I currently have the top of the drains sealed with silicone, but it’s not curing to the acrylic and the leaks are coming back. I could try to stuff some plumbers putty around the edges, but I’m doubtful that I could get enough in to seal them fully. Best solution would be to pop them up and then seal properly with the putty.

Any ideas on the strength of the epoxy on such a surface?

» This message has been edited by Scoob on 01 May 2004

Participant

Scoob, I suggest that you read the manufacturers advice as to how to seal the drains. racefanone gave you the tip that plumbers putty may stain the acylic. If that is the case with your new sink, it seems that the warning to not use plumbers putty would be included in the installation instructions. If there is nothing stated in the instructions regarding the use of Plumbers putty, I would put a small amount on the underside of the sink to see if it stains the acrylic used in the manufacture of your specific sink. If it does not stain the acrylic, then I would use it. If it does stain the Acrylic, then I would call the manufacturer and give them hell for that ommission.

If the instructions warn to not use plumbers putty, then they should tell you the proper material to be used for sealing the drain. If they do not, then call the company that made your sinks and ask them the proper method.

I share your concern that the epoxy putty may be problematic when trying to knockout the drains. The epoxy putty may be stronger than the Acrylic sink material around the drain and you may break out or crack the Acrylic if you get too physical with it. This is another good question to ask the sink manufacturer.

Participant

Good news – I easily knocked out the two drains/strainers and scraped the epoxy from them. Turns out the epoxy had no effect whatsoever on the sink – no bonding, no melting, no staining.

I used the putty as the staining isn’t an issue and all appears well. Got a complete seal around both drains and the excess was easily removed.

One more question: do I have to allow any cure time for the plumber’s putty? Since it remains pliable, I’m guessing not (especially since the vat doesn’t say anything about curing AT ALL).

Participant

Plumber’s putty stays pliable for years. It does eventually loses its physical property of being soft, but I have seen putty used for sealing toilets to floors with no closet flanges for toilets, and never leak. Something to say about the application, the the last one I pulled like that lasted 72 years.

“Your best interest is secured by making the right decisions the first time.”

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This