Steps to remove water from radiator

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Steps to remove water from radiator

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Can someone help me understand the steps to remove water from a hot water heat system with “free standing” cast iron radiators.

I tried shuting off the valve at the radiator and shuting off the valves in the basement. Eight buckets of water have come out with no sign of decreased flow or pressure. Should I keep going, or am I missing something and in the process of removing all the water from the system and the floor above me. This is the first time I have ever owned a hot water heat system.

Participant

The radiator valves on a hot water system (Hydronics) DO NOT shut off the water to the radiator as these valves have a hole drilled in the cylinder OR gate. The reason the hole is there is to prevent FREEZE UPS.THEY are meant to CIRCULATE water constantly!!!

The proper way to drain this type of system is to shut the boiler switch FIRST.

2nd SHUT off the water supply leading to the boilers automatic feeder (PRV) then drain the boiler including the expansion tank.

As the system drains your going to have to open a bleeder valve on and upper floor to break the vacuum

AFTER the water stops flowing you still will have some pretty dirty water still in the radiators that will not drain completely in most cases. By watching your altitude gauge you can tell when the system is down.

When refilling use the automatic feeder and LET the water get to room temperature before switching the boiler back on so as not to cause thermo stress. Watch yuor gauge and bleed each radiator BEFORE letting the circulator work. Have fun

Participant

kurt&angie:

As Sylvan said, “have fun.” Make sure you follow step by step what he said. However, if you should (God forbid) somehow burn or scald yourself, be sure you call Sylvan and let him know that you’re going to sue him. (He does have insurance). Heck, even if you don’t plan to sue him, threaten a lawsuit anyway. He would want it this way. Have fun.

Participant

Hey Jack do like I do carry 4 MILLION professional Liability umbrella insurance. AS I do go to court as an EXPERT and may have to defend my position.

PLUS the 10 million General liability as a small leak in a 47 story building can be considered a major problem over a computer or document room.

When working for MCI and Merrill Lynch over the main offices (computer rooms) I get a rider for 30 million. So Jack let the lawsuits come. ONE HOUR DOWN TIME for Merrill Lynch = 1 MILLION dollars lost in transactions someone has to be accountable HUH?

My personal liability insurance has absolutely nothing to do with my business insurance BUT if I should lose a lawsuit over the 4 million I am still covered with a business rider.AS I try to separate (INSULATE my business from my home)

Jack In my humble opinion you MUST BE A FLY BY NIGHT trailer park mentality loser as ANY PLUMBING contractor working in ANY big city who carries less then 5 million is NUTS.
              (Jack you go to home centers as YOU know you CANT afford our prices THEN you second guess the “clerk”) Your AMAZING

The one family homes and Brownstones near me go over 11/2 million dollars NOT including contents. Jack you ever have an Employee? Suppose this employee sets a home on fire or causes a major leak DON’T YOU THINK YOUR CLIENTS HAVE A RIGHT TO BE FINICALLY PROTECTED? Yes Jack you CAN BE SUED
              (Good thing most home/business owners are not like YOU)

When I had over 18 employees I NEVER EVER carried less then 20 MILLION. Only an IDIOT would be under insured or a FLY BY NIGHT who has NOTHING

What you may not get it THROUGH your THICK HEAD is IF you take 22% of your OVER head as your Profit Margin YOU make more money than someone who only carries a few hundred thousand.

WHAT the hell is $65,000 a year in premiums to have peace of mind. (Its still a write off)

ANY LMP who cannot draw a salary of 2G per week SHOULD hang up his license go work for someone else.

EVEN a simpleton drain cleaner can make $125,000 working for a franchise WHY shouldn’t a skilled plumber not be entitled to at least double that?

Insurance is part of doing business ASK A DOCTOR. Only a fool would be scared of being sued as THEY do NOT know their JOBS and THEY should be put out of business. A lot of my work is for insurance companies and giving something back is the name of the game.
              They hire ME cause WE ARE FULLY INSURED and duly licensed.

When YOU live in a home you carry insurance (trailer) WHEN you drive a car you carry insurance WHEN YOU DIE your kin folks get insurance money (Unless your even more stupid then your posting impossible HUH?) INSURANCE IS A TOOL like any other tool we carry.

I have NEVER lost a law suit. I also have a lawyer on retainer $22,500 per year to look over contracts and collections and 10 hours of court time if required THIS is part of running a PROFESSIONAL business

NOW FYI my lawyer @ $22,500 PER YEAR STILL makes LESS then my helper who Netted 38,067 last year.. Take the weekly break down and see this high priced lawyer only gets $450 PER WEEK (LESS THEN A FACTORY WORKER HUH?BUT STILL more then YOU HUH Jack? AS you HAVE to ask a store clerk for advice as you CANT afford to hire a professional THAT is another reason YOU HAVE CONTINUE ASKING FOR free (Hand out)advice but YOU GIVE nothing back. HEY JACK why NOT DONATE A FEW BUCKS TO charity for all the FREE help you asked for?

If your scared of being sued then YOU should possibly get in a closet and NEVER get out as if YOU drive a car YOU CAN GET SUED every time you get behind the wheel. If you KNOW your job then you have NOTHING to worry about.

Jack you deserve the home center mentality advice in the game of life YOUR a loser. Face it dude YOU came here we didnt seek you out

Participant

[And then silence resulted. Sylvan stood there on the stage, bright spotlight upon him, the audience just sat there, looking at the angry, angry man.]

So, Sylvan, what you’re trying to tell Kurt and Angie (and all the other readers) is that people who come on this site for free advice are just too damn cheap to hire a real professional. Right? Hmmmmmmm. The audience is listening….

Gee, Sylvan, you better watch what you’re saying. You might offend those visitors who make less than $22,500 per year. When you say “you came here we didnt seek you out,” who is “we”? Does “we” mean all the cheap people (your opinion) who come for free advice? Or does “we” mean only those people who live in 1 1/2 million dollar homes (as you boast)? OR, does it mean only those people who have 18 employees and carry no less than $20M in insurance? Please define “we.”

Finally, when you say “your a loser,” I believe you mean “You’RE (not “your”) a loser.” You continuously make this error throughout YOUR posts. With all that money that you boast to have, I suggest that you go back and buy yourself some grammar lessons. “Dude.”

Participant

Jack wrote on 12 June 2000 at 05:13 AM:
                  In most of the water faucets, including showers, I get a high pitched noise whenever I turn on the water supply. The Home-Depot employee suspected it was the water pressure regulator in front of the house where the water goes into the house. Any ideas from you experts? How difficult/simple is it for a layperson to fix?
                  Thanks for your input.< YOUR the ONE “Jack” HUH

Hey Jack, since you already know the store clerk at Home Depot WHY not let him install what ever he thinks could be the culprit? Better yet ask him to come over on his own time and pay him cash to work on your gas lines and electricity.
                  THINK how much money you could save instead of hiring a licensed and insured professional. Yup Jack you have the right idea ASK a stock clerk THEN second guess him. If I were YOU I would beg this guy to be your personal handyman YOU deserve each other.

Participant

Sylvan LIMP:

Very good, LIMP. When all else fails, resort to repeating what you’ve already said. You could not have better shown us your incompetence in this battle of wits, to which you arrive completely unarmed. You truly are pathetic.

As to your quotation of my prior post, it appears that you believe my usage of the word “your” in the sentence “thanks for your input” is incorrect. God, your so STUPID. And to top it of, you add the comment “your the one”. YOU REALLY HAVE NO CLUE, DO YOU? [Sigh]

I know if I were a LMP, I would be ashamed to have you speaking for the profession. Shit, I’m already ashamed for you.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This