Replace cast iron rad. with base board

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Replace cast iron rad. with base board

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hello, i have 6 cast iron radiators
        in an older house that have busted due to heat being turned off by previous owner. I would like to replace these with some type of baseboard. Can i replace them with traditional baseboard.. ie copper, or do i need some sort of cast iron baseboard. Also, for copper baseboard, would i need to use a special type of connection between the copper and the galvan. water pipes? Thanks. [email protected]

Participant

DON’T use copper baseboard units unless you are converting the entire house or you’ll be one unhappy fellow. They have totally different heating characteristics.

While new radiators are very expensive, you can often find good used ones at salvage yards for next to nothing.

You can also disassemble and repair the cracked ones, depending on how many sections are cracked. If the section sizes are the same, you might be able to turn 6 cracked radiators into 4 or 5 good ones.

Good luck, Chuck.

Participant

Hi,
            How much does copper differ in heating in relation to cast iron? What is so different about it with using it in some rooms and cast iron in others? Also, i’ve been reading about cast iron baseboard. How does that work compared to the normal cast iron radiators?
            thanks [email protected]

Participant

Hi,
              How much does copper differ in heating in relation to cast iron? What is so different about it with using it in some rooms and cast iron in others? Also, i’ve been reading about cast iron baseboard. How does that work compared to the normal cast iron radiators?
              thanks [email protected]

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This