hot & cold water smells only in bathroom

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing hot & cold water smells only in bathroom

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

My hot and cold water faucets smells like eggs in the main level bathroom. It clears up in about 30 seconds. All the other faucets (4), tubs and showers in the house are fine. I have well water and it tested great. It is the best water ever, just not in the one bathroom. Any idea’s?

Thanks,
        Patrick

Participant

Patrick, quite often the odour is coming up from the drain. It is the result of decaying aminal fats from the soap, body fats and hair.
          There are many drain clearing products on the market. As i’m in Australia I can’t tell you any brand names. First though, take the great out and scrap down the sides of the pipes.
          Have you had a coliform done on the well water?

Participant

Actually, if you just turn the water on and run it in to a glass it smells. So I don’t think it is the sink drain. Any other idea’s out there?

Thanks in advance,
            Patrick

Participant

Patrick It sounds like you have a sulphur problem in your water. This is a common problem in drilled wells and can be removed by putting an aeration filter system. Sulphur is a gas that can’t be detected in a water sample because as soon as it hits the atmosphere it disipates and that is why you can smell it. If the bathroom that this problem is occuring in is not used as much as the other faucets in the house the water will sit in the piping and the temperature from the house warming the water will inrease the odor as well. get ahold of a reputable water conditioning company or a plumber that you trust and have them do a test for the problem. Good luck and let us know how things come out. Scott Thurston

Participant

Patrick It sounds like you have a sulphur problem in your water. This is a common problem in drilled wells and can be removed by putting an aeration filter system. Sulphur is a gas that can’t be detected in a water sample because as soon as it hits the atmosphere it disipates and that is why you can smell it. If the bathroom that this problem is occuring in is not used as much as the other faucets in the house the water will sit in the piping and the temperature from the house warming the water will inrease the odor as well. get ahold of a reputable water conditioning company or a plumber that you trust and have them do a test for the problem. Good luck and let us know how things come out. Scott Thurston

Participant

We have the same problem in our house – rotten-egg like foul smell for the first 30 seconds or so in one if our showers. Patrick, FYI, we do not have well water, our water is supplied by city water works. So, perhaps, your problem is not because of well water. Anyway, we are still stymied as to the real cause of the smell and a solution for eliminating it.

Participant

Please see this web site it will answer all of your questions. http://www.ianr.unl.edu/PUBS/water/g1275.htm

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This