flange problem

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing flange problem

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We are having a problem with toilet flange being too high, it sits just above the level of the wood floor. We had one plumber who installed two wax seals with a horn, didn’t work. Another plumber put wood shims under the toilet, then a new wax seal a few years ago, which may be failing now. We are calling a new plumber, but we need to know what should be done.

The bathroom is on the second floor, the pipe where the flange connects to, is all metal. In talking to many plumbers, we don’t feel we are getting good suggestions.

We asked if they could cut this pipe down then put a new flange on, then the seal, but they say the pipe is too thick to be cut???

We were going to ask if the toilet could be built up on tiles or marble, but only in the area of the toilet, to make it even with the flange.

We also heard of the ultra seal which is made specifically for flange too high or too low problems, which is made of pvc, not wax. The plumbers in our area have never heard of it and are skeptical. We spoke directly with the company who said they guarantee it to never fail-lifetime guarantee, and that is any plumber needs help with instructions they could call directly for any information, they also said we could do this project without a plumber.

Participant

The flange can only be lowered if you are willing to open the floor or the ceiling below it. Building up the floor seems like a good option, probably the least expensive option. I haven’t heard of the device that you mention in your post.

Participant

You know it takes a certain mentality to install a toilet on a porous flooring material (wood)

Imagine how ripe it has to smell when this fixture backs up from and over flow and gets embedded in this flooring material

Think about if hospitals OR any civilized country would use wood as a protection for a gas and water tight connection from sewer gases.

I can in vision the great floor buckling as the condensation of water builds up under this germ incubator under the toilet as it warps this flooring to nice waves.

I hope all the male members of this house hold NEVER MISS as nothing is worse that the smell of urine impregnated wood.

Lucky some codes AFTER the stone age do specify a NON porous flooring material LIKE A MARBLE slab under the floor flange connection.

I personally think a DIRT floor would serve better as all you do is just remove this dirt and replace it every time it gets wet.

I am curious how termites would like this wet environment? Mildew would be a great garden also growing under this toilet HUH?

I think tile floors and walls are only for cowards who care about cleanliness not Macho plumbers who can get away with a wood sponge under a toilet.
            AMAZING the things I learn everyday.

Participant

Imagine the frustration we have over this! We are NOT plumbers, and we are paying money for this. Your reply didn’t help much, with exception of adding to our frustration. We called these so called professionals, maybe you should live here or offer us some good advice.

Participant

If your toilet flange is too HIGH, adding extra wax seals or pvc plastic rings on top of the flange will only make the problem worse. You need to either lower the toilet flange (which in some cases is impossible without reroughing the waste piping in the entire bathroom), or raising the floor (which in this case seems the best option).

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This